The need for air purifier and the benefits of it
Indians are pro actively taking preventive measures in their everyday lives to improve and maintain a healthy lifestyle. In the last six months, there has been a huge spike in the average daily sales of health and fitness products, says a report by a private research firm released in Apr 2016. Lets look at the report on Shopping Patterns and then look in detail about Air Purifier. Questions that one has, What is Air Purifier? Should I buy an air purifier? I’m considering buying an air purifier, but I wanted to see what other’s experiences have been. Is it worth it? Will I notice a marked improvement in how I feel and sleep? And what about cost differences?
When it comes to the environment, doom and gloom is often the news of the day. There are heated discussions about the effects of climate change, record temperatures, and unseasonably warm or wet seasons . Air in our cities is toxic. In fact, 13 of the 20 most polluted cities in the world are in India. Oftentimes, the condition of the air outside heavily influences the quality of indoor air. Regional allergens like pollen, as well as one’s proximity to busy roadways, industrial operations, and major cities can affect the quality of the air inside homes, schools and businesses. Of these, each indoor environment varies, based on how well the space is sealed and/or ventilated, and specific indoor pollutants like cigarette smoke, dust and humidity levels.Air purifiers are devices that clean the indoor air by removing impurities such as dust particles, pollen, smoke and other airborne irritants.
Air contaminants are particles, liquids, and gases in the air which have harmful chemical properties that affect our health. Some of the substances floating around the home are.
- Microbes: germs, viruses, bacteria, and mold spores
- Odours: cigarette smoke, litter boxes, cooking, body, and pets
- Gases and Chemical Fumes (volatile organic compounds – VOC’s): benzene, cigarette smoke, formaldehyde, nail treatment products, etc.
- Particulates: allergens, dust, dust mites, pollen, pet dander, particles in smoke
Air contaminants are usually measured in size in microns. When air contaminants are inhaled, the body’s natural defense system is more vulnerable to small particles below 0.5 microns. Size in microns: dust particles (including PM 2.5 particles—the tiny particulate matter that causes the most damage to human health)
- Pollen (5-100 microns): Each spring, summer, and autumn, tiny particles are released from trees, weeds, and grasses. These particles, known as pollen, it rides on currents of air. Although their mission is to fertilize parts of other plants, many never reach their targets. Instead, they enter human noses and throats, triggering a type of seasonal allergic rhinitis called pollen allergy
- Mold (2-20 microns) : Mold, one type of fungus, is different from plants, animals and bacteria, it grows in the form of multicellular thread-like structures called hyphae. Molds release small spores into the air. These spores are small enough that people can actually inhale them deep into the lungs. Inhalation of spores poses risk of developing respiratory problems.
- Pet Dander (0.5-100 microns): Pet dander is composed of tiny, even microscopic, flecks of skin shed by cats, dogs, rodents, birds and other animals with fur or feathers. These bits of skin can cause reactions in people who are specifically allergic to these triggers.
- Dust Mite Debris (0.5-50 microns) : House dust mites are microscope bugs that primarily live on dead skin cells regularly shed from humans and their animal pets. Skin cells and scales, commonly called dander, are often concentrated in lounging areas, mattresses, frequently used furniture and associated carpeted areas, often harbor large numbers of these microscopic mites. Since the average human sloughs off 10 grams of dead skin a week. That gives dust mites a lot to eat. Cats and dogs create far more dander for dust mites to eat. In people allergic to dust mite, it is often not the mite itself but proteins in their droppings which cause the allergy. Each mite produces about 20 of these waste droppings every day and the droppings continue to cause allergic symptoms even after the mite has died.